Did You Know
- Colliers Wood is linked to the charcoal burners of 'colliers' of the middle ages, that worked local woodland.
- The world’s first public railway was the Surrey Iron Railway, passing through Colliers Wood on its route from Croydon to Wandsworth.
- Merton Priory has educated the likes of Thomas Becket and Nicholas Breakspear, the Archbishop of Canterbury and Pope Adrian IV respectively.
- Merton Abbey Mills is a former Liberty & Co. dyeworks. - it was said to have more mills per mile than any other river in the world - 90 mills on 11 miles of river!
- The leader of the Arts and Crafts Movement, William Morris has a factory nearby, which were adapted for stained-glass production, textile printing, fabric and carpet weaving.